10/16/07

The Flu Shot

So, yes, Emery being sick merits another post. I wouldn't usually write in detail about a "run-of-the-mill" dose of the flu or cold, but this one seems a little weird. Friday afternoon Emery had her 15 month well-baby check-up with a new doctor (our insurance changed). Doctor Farnsworth declared her very healthy (head circumference gladly under 90% this time) and suggested we get her a flu shot. A few minutes later a nurse arrived with the shot and told us because it's the first flu shot she's had she needs to return for another one in a month. I thought, "Well that's going to be rough, but o.k." We left the doctor's office and 24 hours later Emery was sick with a 102.8 degree temperature and was throwing up. The fever at that temp lasted for longer than 24 hours so we called the doctor and went in again. They said, "The fever's a little high for just being from the flu shot, so it could be something else." But, of course they didn't give us anything and told us to wait 3 days and call again if she was still sick. She's still sick, (temperature about a 100) but at least she's eaten a little and slept all day. I guess it's just a bad case of the flu...what the flue shot was supposed to prevent...I don't think I'll go back for that other one.

Have any of you had similar experiences with the Flu shot?

5 comments:

Spencer said...

i already told you guys this, but i think the flu shot is a buncha bull. it always makes me sicker than i get from just the flu, and i rarely get the flu anyway.

Melissa said...

I've only had a flu shot once while we were in Korea (because they made me get one). I rarely if ever get the flu, but even after having the flu shot, I didn't ever get sick so it's hard to say if it really helped or not. I can see it's purpose for an adult, but it sounds like it's been rough on Emery. Good luck! I'll check your blog for any updates. :o)

Janie said...

I have been debating whether or not to get McKay a flu shot this year. With he and Emery going into nursery this winter I have to wonder. Your story makes me not want to get it though! I hope she feels better soon...

The Lassen Family said...

I have to get one every year and I think it does help--at least a little. It takes 2 weeks to get any immunity and it's supposed to protect you from the respiratory/achey body flu, not the stomach flu. I just had my kids in and they gave them the flu mist--they just put it up their noses---so easy--but yeah, jake has to have a second one in a month.
She probably picked up a virus while at the dr's office-sooooo many germs there!!! It never fails--take them in for a well-check and they get sick the next day---from the office!!
Just my two-cents :)
Hope she is doing better now
dani

Megan said...

After the flu I got in 2003 I have gotten the shot every year. I do feel like I have a cold for four days following it. Jack got both shots and had no reaction. Jack was also ok last year. We take Kate in on the 29th for her first of the two shot series. She got a bad fever off her first round of shots. Was fine her second round. Rich refuses to get the flu shot after his first he got really sick. He got a bad flu last year but Jack and I didn't. Its a toss up - I think everyone reacts differently. But a throwing up kid is a really sick thing to clean up after so I am taking Jack Me and Kate in all for shots.