10/21/09

A New Shopping Love


I did it folks.  I drove past a Harmon's, two super Wal-marts, an Albertsons, Smiths, Kohls, DI, Cafe Rio, and a Chile's (don't ask me why I listed the last four, but I thought their mentioning was worth note) to get to the new WINCO FOODS!  There are two now almost exactly equadistant from my house in Midvale and West Valley.  They are both over 6 miles away and past all those "other" stores, but I'm here to testify it was all worth it!!!!

It's AMAZING!!!!  You just gotta try it out.  They have the most Bulk Food I have ever seen in one store:


And their prices are really to DIE for.  I don't know if it was just the grand opening price but bananas were only .18 a pound!  I don't ever remember buying bananas for that price in the 10 years I've been buying bananas for myself.  Other good prices of note: Honey Crisp apples for 1.45 a pound (usually over $2 on sale), Boneless, skinless chicken breasts for .99 a pound (I thought 1.49 at Macey's was the best I could find).  Also, Pasta Roni and Betty Crocker Cake mix for .79 a box.  I got a 2 pound block of Tilimook cheese for under $6 and an 8 case of yogurt for under $3. All the produce looked really good and it was all at least the price of a good sale at any other grocery store. 

A couple ways they keep the prices low:  You can only pay with Cash or Debit and you bag your own groceries!  There is a two lane check out past the cashier where two people can be bagging their groceries at once.  Genious, really.  Needless to say, it took a bit longer to check out - I didn't realize how long it would take to bag $137 worth of groceries. 

Really though, I think all that I got would have cost at least $150 anywhere else, so it's probably worth the 6 miles to go to Winco once or twice a month...

7 comments:

Jade said...

I just moved away from a town with a Winco -- as much as I miss my friends and ward in the old town, I think I miss the Winco more. I miss it so much, in fact, that I'm plotting out ways to make the 30 mile drive to Winco worth it. Glad you've now got one nearby. Not only is the bulk section heaven, the produce is cheap. And because it's so cheap, everyone buys it. And because everyone buys it, it cycles out of the store quickly. And because it cycles out so quickly, new stuff comes in all the time. In other words, the produce is cheap AND fresh. Sigh. I miss it so much.

Jodi said...

with prices that low Erin, you probably saved more than $13! .99 chicken? Awesome. It's close to where I am now. . .maybe I should stock up before I move.

Alan Anderson said...

I'm headed that way as well - it sounds awesome! Can't wait to check them out - definitely worth the drive.

Dawn said...

I heard it was opening. I went to the one in Pocatello and thought I would never go back. I dont know if it was just because it was in Pocatello or if the all the winco stores were like that. That is a good deal on chicken. I stock for a year at that price. Keep me updated on the store as the newness wears off, I might try it again.

Megan said...

Smidgeon jelous - keep passing over all the deal posts that talk about them - wish we had one nearby.

Jensen Family said...

I love this place! I use to shop there while I was in college, but now that I have a family I really wish there was one close! Enjoy it for me!

erica said...

I have a store like that, I drive 20 minutes to get there about once a month. it's worth it. I can get 2-3 bags of the best produce, for about 20 dollars. I love good finds.