8/29/11

Taking the Plunge

I just dropped my oldest off for her first day of Kindergarten. And it's hard to describe all my feelings.  I've always thought I would be so happy and excited for her and I am, but I never expected to feel anxious, worried, nervous and a little apprehensive about the whole thing.  The happy and excited part is the teacher in me and the rest is the mother, I guess.  Last week we went in for her "testing" day and I got to listen to her answer the teacher's questions. Sometimes I was pleasantly surprised by her response and other times I felt like I wanted to say, "Come on - you know the answer to that!"  What I was most happy about was hearing her little voice almost sing the answers -- she's got the cute/pleasant thing down, even if she doesn't know/remember what the number thirteen looks like. 


As I was dropping her off this morning, I watched as a good percentage of her classmates said something like, "hasta luego mi amor" to their parents. And that put my little heart at ease a little - at least she speaks English!!!:)  What I really wasn't prepared for was how badly Jane wanted to go into the classroom with her.  She was sure that's what we were there for.  I think it was a blessing, because while tackling Jane, there wasn't a chance to cry or worry - I just had to convince Jane (and probably myself) that she was going to be OK without her.

And I think we will be, it will just take some getting used to.  Jane starts Joy School next week, so that will help a lot.  So here's to a new year and the beginning of the rest of my life as a taxi-driving, homework-helping, PTA-ing mom.  YAY!


1 comment:

erica said...

well done! hope the day was great!