11/20/08

Thanksgiving Rolls



Per request, I'm posting the most yummy roll recipe ever...give it a practice this weekend before Thanksgiving. I first tried it 2 years ago and made 3 batches before I realized my yeast was faulty...arggh! I make them 2-3 times a month. If you're afraid of yeast - DON'T be! Just give it a few tries! I would love to hear if any of you try it - we think they're delicious!

Lion House Rolls
2 C warm water (110 - 115 degrees)
2/3 C dry milk (instant or non-instant)
2 T dry yeast
1/4 C sugar
2 tsp salt
1/3 C butter (melted)*
1 egg
5 - 5 1/2 C flour

In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water and dry milk. Add yeast. Add sugar, salt, melted butter and the egg. Mix well. Add 2 C flour and mix on low till combined then mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add 2 more C of flour and mix on medium for 2 minutes (This process helps the gluten in the flour start working!) Add up to a cup and a half of flour till the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl and when you touch it, it's a little sticky. Let rise in a warm place for 45 min in bowl. (I often put it in a warm oven for 30 min to speed up the process.) Pull dough out of the bowl and place on a heavily floured surface. Kneed for 1 minute. Roll out into a rectangle 18" long x 8" wide and 1/4" thick. Brush with melted butter. Cut (I use my pizza cutter) in half to make two strips 4" wide. Cut in 2" strips - 18 strips total. (I often end up with 24 because I roll it out a little thinner for preference - even then, my rolls are still really big!) Roll up each strip and place on a sprayed cookie sheet a finger-width apart. Cover to rise 1-1 1/2 hours. (Again, I put them in the warm oven till the rolls are all touching each other - usually about 40 min. Don't forget to pull them out of the oven to preheat!) Bake at 375 for 12-18 minutes. Brush tops of rolls with butter. ENJOY!!!

*I use a whole cube each time I make them - 1/3 C for the dough, then I melt the rest to brush the dough with and there should be enough to brush the rolls with after they're all done.

Again - don't be afraid - they are WELL WORTH the work and everyone will love you for it!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so excited to make these rolls!!! Thanks!

Julie said...

I am very scared of yeast... maybe you can help me get over it so I can make these.. Ryan always talks about them :)

Unknown said...

Hi! I yerika from your old ward in Wymount, I'm going to try this dinners rolls but can I use normal milk? not dry milk?
I hope there turn as good as your. thanks. I like your blog by the way.

Mrs. Lundgreen said...

Hi Yerika! Thanks for reading! I've never tried regular milk, but I don't know why it wouldn't work...Let me know how they turn out! Don't get discouraged if they don't turn out the first time - it takes a bit of practice! Do you have a blog too?